We are seeking a qualified, experienced emergency veterinarian who wants to make a difference in the lives of our clients and their animal companions, as well as contributing to the goals of the San Francisco SPCA by helping to fill open emergency shifts in our hospital program. Interested professionals with proven emergency medical skills, a commitment to teamwork, a positive attitude for problem solving and communication with our clients and staff, and the desire to learn and grow should apply. Shifts are scheduled based on your availability.
Essential Duties and Functions:
Veterinary Medical Care
- Perform emergency veterinary care for publicly-owned and shelter patients including:
- Handle cases presented to the emergency service on a drop-in basis
- Perform appropriate triage and case management of multiple emergency cases that present to the service
- Manage inpatient hospitalized cases as needed
- Perform soft tissue surgery as needed
- Partner with clients to ensure the best treatment plan for each patient and to bond the client to our practice by expanding our clinical offerings into specialty medicine.
- Effectively communicate with clients about case management, diagnosis, prognosis, advice and follow up.
- Keep thorough, comprehensive and detailed medical records in compliance with all laws/regulations and collaborate with administrative staff to ensure proper collection of data.
- Provide unique charitable veterinary services in accordance with guidelines for SF SPCA Community Programs.
- Provide situational leadership, management and supervision to Hospital support team members.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of sound veterinary medical practices, protocols and standards in our hospital.
- Enhance your professional knowledge and skills with a commitment to continuing education.
- Comply with all laws pertaining to controlled drugs and work with our pharmacy staff to follow prescription protocols.
- Work with our veterinary support staff to ensure clients are properly charged for services rendered according to Veterinary Hospital protocols.
- Encourage and stimulate interchange of medical knowledge by sharing professional experience, keeping staff informed on the latest relevant medical techniques and information.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to the Society.
- Partner with clients to ensure the best treatment plan for each patient and to bond the client to our practice
- Facilitate good working relationships through professional demeanor, teamwork and collaboration
- Maintain effective communication with staff during daily contact, in scheduled meetings, daily medical rounds, informally or in writing as needed to coordinate and direct medical functions of the hospital
- Ensure a safe work environment by following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, customer, animal, or the organization at risk
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area; follow all pest and rodent control protocols. Participate in keeping the SF SPCA campus clean and well maintained
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures
- Facilitate open, direct communication throughout the Society.
- Embrace and promote the Society’s BLISS direct communication
Reporting Relationships and Contacts:
Reports to the Vice-President of Veterinary Services-Mission and/or Pacific Heights Hospitals