Perform maintenance, repair, janitorial, and laundry duties.
Essential Duties and Functions:
Facility, Equipment and Grounds Maintenance
- Perform daily janitorial duties throughout the Society, including offices, staff, and public areas
- Repair, replace, or maintain minor mechanical equipment
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions, including, but not limited to electric gates, boiler system, laundry equipment, alarm system.
- Perform general facilities maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, painting, basic carpentry, plumbing/boiler, fleet ,and general repairs
- Maintain all floor surfaces, operate carpet cleaning equipment and floor stripping, waxing, and buffing equipment
- Operate laundry equipment and provide laundry pick up and delivery to departments throughout the facility
- Maintain all exterior common areas free from debris and animal waste; sweep and wash exterior hardscapes.
- Assist with donation pick-up, delivery, and storage
- Receive and confirm deliveries from vendors
- Perform general off-site errands as assigned
- Assist other departments with repair/maintenance projects as assigned
- Maintain all supplies and equipment in working condition; keep supervisor apprised of supply and equipment needs
- Maintain work area in clean and orderly fashion
- Adhere to facility or equipment specifications and organization or government regulations
- Participate in disaster recovery plan and preparations in the event of serious safety situation.
- Inform the Facilities manager or Lead Facilities Technician of developments that may affect the Society or the department including security, departmental progress, client concerns, and personnel issues.
- Ensure quality service is provided to both people and animal clients by the staff of the Facilities Department.
- Respond to requests for assistance and repairs in a timely manner in order to ensure quality client service as well as effective operations.
- Assist all departments in situations requiring immediate problem solving
- Promote good public relations in accordance with Society practices; apprises supervisor of situations that could be unsafe or potentially damaging to the professional image of the Society
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals
- Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and event
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to the Society
- Works cooperatively with all volunteers and recognizes the talent and commitment they bring to the Society
Safety & Security
- Participates in upkeep of facility security systems, fire alarm system, fire extinguishers
- Serves on the Safety/Disaster Preparedness Committee as assigned
- Follows internal protocols, local and State laws and OSHA regulations for all projects, equipment operation, and chemical usage including labeling, storage, disposal, and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Takes immediate action to correct any safety noncompliance that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
Diversity & Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures
- Facilitate open, direct communication throughout the Society.
- Embrace and promote the Society’s BLISS direct communication program.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work is performed in a garage, kennel/shelter setting, outdoors, and occasionally on rooftop
- Frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing stairs, walking and, standing on feet 8-10 hours per day while performing job functions
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions when cleaning
- Exposure to various weather conditions when working outdoors
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations
- Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals of questionable temperament
- Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alterations available
- Tetanus and rabies (pre-exposure) inoculations are required or must be waived
- Reports to the Facilities Operations Manager