The Development Operations Assistant is an essential member of the Development Department providing critical support to the fundraising operations of the San Francisco SPCA. The position will process donations, generate acknowledgement letters, communicate with potential and current donors, and support the Individual Giving program’s direct mail and online fundraising campaigns.
Essential Duties and Functions:
Donor Relations and Gift Acknowledgement
- Create and send accurate and timely mail acknowledgements for gifts. Coordinates letter signatures and mailing. Produce memorial/tribute cards as needed. Track gift acknowledgement using the fundraising database Raiser’s Edge (RE).
- Respond in a timely manner to all inquiries and special requests (by letter, phone or email) from donors or prospective donors; refers to other members of the development department and other departments as appropriate.
- Create and send special acknowledgements including yearly giving summaries, honor/memorial/tribute gifts, and others upon request.
- Contact donor to resolve gift issues and steward donations.
- Monitor Circle of Friends monthly giving program and proactively retain recurring donors with expiring or declined credit cards by phone or email outreach.
Gift Processing and Data Entry
- Perform daily entry and coding of gift and constituent records using Raiser’s Edge (RE) received through mail, phone, online, third parties, in person, and other sources.
- Maintain fundraising records and remove erroneous & duplicate records to ensure a high level of file health for successful fundraising.
- Process monthly payments for the Circle of Friends recurring giving program.
- Record all activities in RE including donor stewardship activities, gift acknowledgements, and all other pertinent data.
- Coordinate with the lockbox company for errors or other issues.
- Troubleshoot and resolve other obstacles on a timely basis.
Individual Giving Fundraising Support
- Assist with Individual Gift program’s mail and online fundraising campaigns with content review, editing, production oversight, and reporting.
- Additional fundraising projects as assigned.
Development Operations and Administrative Support
- Cross train on all Development Operations work for backup coverage as needed.
- Copy and bundle all reconciliation materials for review by Finance. Take action as necessary to correct errors discovered in financial reconciliation.
- Sort and allocate the department’s incoming and outgoing mail.
- Assist with the preparation of reports, profiles, and pledge reminders.
- Assist and participate in special donor events organized by the department.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
- Ensure the effective use of volunteer resources and talents.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to the Society.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, customer, animal, or the organization at risk.
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Recruit and hire diverse candidates
- Promote cultural competency
- Facilitate open, direct communication
- Embrace and promote the BLISS direct communication program
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work is performed in an office setting within an animal shelter and care facility.
- Regularly sits at a computer station, repetitively enters transactions 7 hours per day.
- Typically stands, bends, stoops, and crouches while filing documents manually.
- Frequently lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 30 lbs. when moving supplies.
- Regularly moves about the campus to coordinate work.
- Occasional overtime, weekend and/or evening work.
- Consistent exposure to animals and animal allergens with limited alternative conditions available.
Reporting Relationships and Contacts:
- Manages volunteers.
- Reports to the Senior Annual Campaign Manager