The Night Emergency Service Liaison supports the medical team and enhances the patient and client care we provide during the busy evening and night time emergency service. The Night Emergency Service Liaison maintains exceptional customer service, and facilitates timely, accurate communication to clients. The Night Emergency Service Liaison is an expert in our internal policies and procedures, can generate and explain accurate treatment plan estimates, and has adequate clinical knowledge to run lab work, prepare prescriptions, and give clients basic medical updates. They are responsible for being a proactive, knowledgeable point person with superior communication skills and a passion for promoting and maintaining a positive client experience while supporting the medical staff. The person in this position will support the night emergency service until 2am daily.
Essential Duties and Functions:
- Monitor the doctors’ appointment schedules in the practice management software to ensure prompt rooming of incoming patients.
- Attend to the emergency patients in reception in order to facilitate communication with the clients and to more quickly notify the doctor or technician of patient progression.
- Greet incoming emergency patients and clients.
- Acquire and note patient medical history and presenting complaint from client.
- Bring emergency patients to the treatment area for technicians and doctors to triage patient.
- Create ER SOAP and input history, including previous medications, and TPR information given by tech.
- Provide realistic expectations to clients about wait times and regularly keep the client updated on progress.
- Direct clients to the appropriate exam room when ready for doctor communication.
- Perform in-house laboratory testing in accordance with SF SPCA Hospital- Pacific Heights lab procedures and protocols.
- Prepare treatment plan estimates at the direction of the veterinarian, present estimates to clients, and provide basic explanation of their content.
- Facilitate communication between the client and veterinarian about the approved treatment plans.
- Prepare lab samples and act as a liaison between the outside diagnostic lab and SF SPCA Hospital- Pacific Heights.
- Ensure that all lab results are promptly provided to the doctors in order to inform clients.
- Audit charges entered by nursing care team and emergency doctor prior to patient check-out to ensure services are being correctly charged.
- Provide information about the SF SPCA Financial Assistance Programs to clients and employees.
- Enter accurate data related to communication and animals in our care.
- Attend hospital rounds.
- Assist in the patient intake and discharge process involving registration, invoicing and payment plans; provide coverage for front desk as needed.
- Aid the medical staff in preparing referral information packets.
- Coordinate communication between client and doctor to create consistency with overall client/patient hospital experience. Represent vet by relaying recommendations and follow-up with clients.
- Assist in the process of ordering laboratory tests and prescriptions, as well as importing the laboratory results into the practice management software.
- Maintain patient disposition procedures and facilitates communication between departments.
- Schedule appointments with the use of our practice management software.
- Maintain complete understanding of Hospital Policies and Procedures.
- Fill prescriptions using the double check system.
- Phone or fax prescriptions to outside retail pharmacies when necessary.
- Process all prescription refill requests via email, phone, fax or in-person.
- Use appropriate documentation in all duties including logging lab tests, maintaining equipment logs and updating medical records.
- Perform client demonstrations for administering medications to out-patients in a patient and professional manner.
- Provide urgent client communication as directed by medical team.
- Actively engage in client outreach including follow-up calls and answering client inquiries concerning finance, records and to coordinate medical care.
- Schedule patient discharges and client appointments as needed.
- Provide courteous and informative customer service for client calls and e-mails.
- Assist department supervisors in resolving escalated issues to maintain/improve client relationships and retention.
- Provide demos and client education as requested by the medical team.
- Handle any disputes that arise with clients in regards to finance and patient care.
Staff Training/Process Improvement
- Assist with the facilitating and delivery of process change trainings.
- Make recommendations on process improvements towards improvement on efficiency and cost savings.
- Assist with the scheduling and facilitation of associate coaching sessions to improve quality of service provided to clients.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs and events.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
- Promote Marketing and social media opportunities as appropriate.
- Ability to understand and respond appropriately to clients and pets that are experiencing physical and emotional trauma.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to the Society.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area; follow all pest and rodent control protocols. Participate in keeping the SF SPCA campus clean and well maintained.
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures.
- Facilitate open, direct communication throughout the Society.
- Embrace and promote the Society’s BLISS direct communication program.
Reporting Relationships and Contacts:
- Reports to the Client Services Manager - Pacific Heights