For 150 years, the San Francisco SPCA has been a cherished San Francisco institution, known for compassion, excellence and innovation. Our marketing department is seeking an experienced, talented graphic and web designer, who will be responsible for building and stewarding our brand across all channels. The individual must have a passion for marketing and design and be committed to the SF SPCA’s mission of saving, caring for, and improving the lives of animals and the people who love them.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Graphic & Web Designer will create advertising, collateral, publications, web pages, signage, and other materials to support the organization’s design needs, communication efforts and revenue goals. This is a hands-on role tasked with everything from strategy to creative ideation to execution to benchmarking and monitoring campaign and online results. The successful candidate will be able to devise smart design/marketing solutions for an evolving organization with multiple stakeholders to make those plans a reality.
S/he should be a strategic thinker who is able to develop marketing plans aligned with the Society’s overall plans and individual departments’ goals to grow capacity for service and engagement in our community. Once plans are developed and agreed to, this person will manage end-to-end execution of a variety of marketing and digital deliverables including the following components:
S/he should demonstrate ownership of investment in the Society brand, collateral and campaign deliverables to track directly to departmental and organizational goals and revenue pathways.
- Foster partnerships with multiple stakeholders across the organization to help departments meet/exceed revenue goals by building a funnel to target new donors and clients, and recognize/retain existing clients and donors.
- Work across a variety of media to execute end-to-end marketing campaigns, to manage timely execution of core assets as well as derivatives, versions, and/or translations; with interim milestone meetings to monitor project progress.
- Using agreed upon strategic metrics and goals, clearly and proactively track/communicate project requirements, deliverables, timelines and budget status to team members throughout project lifecycle, delivering analytics and hind-sighting upon completion.
- Steward the Society’s visual identity system, keeping brand guidelines current and advising staff on implementation (or coach creation of) new templates for collateral, presentations, digital assets, SWAG, etc., that the rest of the team can implement for consistency.
- Determine methodology to review assets to ensure consistency in brand creative look/feel and voice.
- Monitor processes to identify gaps/improvements to work more efficiently and identify risks early on to provide mitigation strategies.
Website Redesign and Ongoing Strategy
- Classify asset needs for website redesign project (as-is migration from Drupal to WordPress, site adjustments, and creation and launch of new look and feel) and develop overarching creative project plans that align with planned phases.
- Validate or identify risks to resource or overcome to deliver projects on time.
- Manage review and approval processes across multiple stakeholders.
- Post redesign, identify and execute adjustments to user experience and design.
- Manage website coordination with channel strategies to determine how to best execute and achieve shared goals.
- Develop creative as needed.
- Work in close collaboration with departments across the organization (adoptions, development, veterinary services, behavior and training, humane education, etc) to gather and share program success stories across online channels.
- Responsible for identifying, collecting, analyzing and communicating metrics for digital campaigns that span society departments including online fundraising.
- This position will harness digital trends, channels and potential marketing and communication collaborations, to promote build brand awareness and position us as an innovative, collaborative leader in animal welfare.
- Ongoing creative oversight of Nanonation screens in public-facing areas.
- Maintain project prioritization plans, provide monthly reporting for online and email channels, and track expenses/other needs to help obtain approval for any incremental funding/resources.
- Evolve creative processes as needed to absorb new workflows.
- Ensure the Marketing Service Desk is the most effective tool to understand project scope and inspire creative solutions for the organization’s communication needs and evolve or simplify it when necessary.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals
- Provide excellent customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate
- Work with Volunteer Services to recruit volunteers to assist with events and other marketing programs
- Coordinate and supervise volunteers needed for the successful execution of events
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to the Society
- Ensure a safe work environment; following safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put staff members, volunteers, clients, animals, or the organization at risk
- Maintain a clean, healthy, sanitary work area; following pest/rodent protocols
- Participate in keeping the SF SPCA campus clean and well maintained
- Facilitate open, direct communication throughout the Society.
- Embrace and promote the Society’s BLISS direct communication program.
Director of Marketing & Communications